07 March 2019
Alcoa commits to #BalanceforBetter for International Women’s Day
A gender-balanced workplace is firmly on Alcoa of Australia’s action list as the company celebrates International Women’s Day on March 8 and gets behind this year’s campaign theme of forging a more gender-balanced world via #BalanceforBetter.
Pledges to challenge stereotypes and biases, forge the positive visibility of women and celebrate women’s achievements are front and centre of discussions across Alcoa’s bauxite, alumina and aluminium operations.
The company, which was recently named an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality for the 17th year running by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), is committed to achieving a gender balance and creating an inclusive workplace through flexible work practices and active campaigns to attract, promote and retain women in its workforce.
Alcoa of Australia Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker, who is a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador, said International Women’s Day was an opportune time to reflect on the company’s progress to achieve a gender balanced workplace.
“I firmly believe we are all accountable to make a difference and it’s everyone’s job to build a culture of equality, encourage diversity and enact positive change in our workplace,” Mr Parker said.
“Gender balance makes the workplace better. I want women to achieve financial independence, pay parity and enjoy career opportunities throughout every life stage.”
Sonia Nolan, Senior Communications Adviser, 0401 034 103, email@example.com
Jane McGuire, Senior Communications Adviser, 0410 694 676, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alcoa of Australia (Alcoa) has a proud history in Australia which it hopes to continue by remaining internationally competitive, attracting ongoing investment and providing jobs for future generations.
- Alcoa has been contributing to Australia’s economy since 1963, investing more than
$12 billion over 55 years.
- More than 65 per cent of Alcoa’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.
- Alcoa employs more than 4,275 people in Australia. About 3,750 live in WA.
- In our 55 years, Alcoa has taken on more than 2000 apprentices, trainees and graduates.
- Alcoa invested $1.7 billion with Australian suppliers in 2017.
- Alcoa paid $654 million in Australian wages, salaries and associated benefits in 2017.
- Alcoa paid $400 million in State, Federal and Local government taxes and royalties in 2017.
- Alcoa made $4.2 million in community contributions in 2017.
About Alcoa Corporation
Alcoa Corporation (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa Corp. is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since developing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented employees have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. Visit us online on www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.