08 December 2016
Alcoa: Top Employer for 15 Years Running
For the 15th consecutive year, Alcoa of Australia has been named an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality* (EOCGE) by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA).
The EOCGE citation is a prestigious acknowledgment of organisations that encourage, recognise and promote active commitment to achieving gender equality in their workplaces.
Alcoa of Australia Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker said he was proud Alcoa was recognised as an example of best practice in gender equality, but said there was still much work to be done to close the gender gap.
Mr Parker is a proud member of CEOs for Gender Equity, the global sponsor of the Alcoa Women’s Network and has taken a pledge to be a ‘Catalyst for Change’ in the advancement of women through recruitment, development and retention.
“At Alcoa, being a Catalyst means actively reviewing your everyday work actions in the context of gender equity, and taking steps to do things differently to get the balance right,” Mr Parker said.
“As a leader, one of my key actions was adding a diversity and inclusion agenda item to every lead team meeting, in much the same way as we have standing items for health and safety. It’s that important, and we all need to be accountable,” he said.
Alcoa Residue Production and Maintenance Coordinator Kylie Haines said at Alcoa people focus on the quality of the work you perform and accept you for who you are.
“I love my job at Alcoa because I can get out in the field, connect with people, I’m constantly challenged and I know I can step up in my career,” Ms Haines said.
WGEA Director Libby Lyons said trends in this year’s recipients include a focus on flexibility, greater support for women to progress into leadership positions and more sophisticated analysis of the causes of gender pay gaps.
“It is only through more employers adopting leading practices to promote gender equality in the workplace that we will see the pace of change pick up,” Ms Lyons said.
For the full list of 2016 citation holders categorised by either state or industry visit the WGEA website.
Employer case studies and further quotes from Alcoa employee Kylie Haines can be found in the WGEA article EOCGE employers find new ways to progress gender equality.
* The EOCGE citation commenced in 2014, replacing the predecessor citation, Employer of Choice for Women, then managed by the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency.
Alcoa: Mika Sangalli on 0409 125 623 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane McGuire on 0410694676 or email@example.com
WGEA: Jackie Woods on 0414 241 483 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: Alcoa’s Key Actions Towards Gender Equity
- 16 weeks of employer funded paid parental leave for primary carers.
- A range of flexible working arrangements made available to support employees with family and caring responsibilities. Strong policies exist relating to family-friendly rosters, extended paid sick leave, study leave, leisure days and parental and carers leave.
- Alcoa consistently performs better than the average Western Australian (WA) and national statistics on pay equity. The WA pay gap currently sits at 23.9%; nationally it is 16.2%. At Alcoa the gap is 10.1% for total remuneration.
- Analysis of systems occurs to eliminate gender bias in recruitment.
- Alcoa Women’s Network established - a highly successful and valued networking and mentoring initiative.
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since inventing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented Alcoans have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. Visit us online on www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.