17 March 2020
Alcoa commits to #EachforEqual on International Women’s Day
A gender-balanced workplace is firmly on Alcoa Australia’s action list as the company celebrated International Women’s Day and got behind this year’s campaign theme #EachforEqual which stands to remind us that collectively, each one of us can help create a gender equal world.
Pledges to challenge stereotypes and biases, forge the positive visibility of women and celebrate women’s achievements are front and centre of discussions across Alcoa’s bauxite, alumina and aluminium operations.
The company, which was recently named an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality for the 18th year by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency, is committed to achieving a gender balance and creating an inclusive workplace through flexible work practices and active campaigns to attract, promote and retain women in its workforce.
Alcoa Australia President Michael Gollschewski said International Women’s Day was a fitting time to reflect on the company’s progress to achieve a gender balanced workplace.
“I firmly believe it’s everyone’s job to encourage diversity, build a culture of equality, and bring about positive change in our workplace,” Mr Gollschewski said.
“Gender balance makes both society and the workplace better. I want women to achieve financial independence, pay parity and enjoy career opportunities throughout every life stage.
“While Alcoa hasn’t yet tipped the scales in terms of a gender balanced workforce, with female participation at about 15 per cent, I am very much looking to a future with better balance.”
It was a big week across Alcoa’s Western Australian operations and offices with celebration events bringing people together to honour women and their contributions and achievements. #EachforEqual certainly proved a fitting theme with people from all parts of the business playing a role to improve gender equality.
About Alcoa Australia
Alcoa has a proud history in Australia which it hopes to continue by remaining internationally competitive, attracting ongoing investment and providing jobs for future generations.
- Alcoa’s Australian operations have been contributing to the nation’s economy since 1963, investing more than $12 billion over 56 years.
- More than 65 per cent of the annual revenue for Alcoa’s Australian operations stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties and dividends to Australian shareholders.
- Alcoa employs more than 4,250 people in Australia. About 3,770 live in WA.
- In our 56 years, Alcoa has taken on more than 2000 apprentices, trainees and graduates.
- In 2018, Alcoa’s Australian operations: - Invested $1.86 billion with more than 1550 Australian suppliers. - Paid $668 million in Australian wages, salaries and associated benefits. - Paid more than $690 million in State, Federal and Local government taxes and royalties. - Made $4 million in community contributions.
About Alcoa Corporation
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminium products, and is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back more than 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminium an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since developing the aluminium industry, and throughout the company’s history, talented employees have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. Visit us online on www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.