September 13, 2019
Alcoa chief named national Gender Diversity Champion
Alcoa of Australia (Alcoa) Chairman and Managing Director Michael Parker has been named 2019 Gender Diversity Champion for his commitment to promoting and empowering women in the workplace, at the 2019 Rio Tinto Women in Resources National Awards held on Thursday night at Parliament House in Sydney.
Mr Parker said it was an honour to be recognised for his work driving gender equity initiatives, which had been a key pillar of his leadership during his four-year tenure at the helm of Alcoa’s Australian operations.
“We have privileged opportunities as leaders to change organisations, to lead by example and influence people,” Mr Parker said.
“And while I can set the tone, I know that the people at our Western Australian and Victorian locations are the real change makers. I firmly believe that it’s everyone’s responsibility to build a culture of equality, promote diversity and to affect positive change in the workplace. We are all accountable to make a difference.”
Alumina Strategic Asset Manager and Alcoa Women’s Network Lead, Catherine Chappell, accepted the award on Mr Parker’s behalf.
“Our gender equity and inclusion journey extends over two decades, and we’re extremely proud of what we’ve achieved,” Ms Chappell said.
“This award not only recognises Michael’s strong leadership, but the hundreds of members and allies of our women’s network who come to work every day pushing for change.”
Alcoa was named an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality for the 17th year running by the Federal Government’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency this year. The company’s leadership is committed to achieving a gender balance and creating an inclusive workplace through flexible work practices and active campaigns to attract, promote and retain women in its workforce.
• Mika Sangalli, Senior Communications Adviser, 0410 774 424, email@example.com
Alcoa of Australia (Alcoa) has a proud history in Australia which it hopes to continue by remaining internationally competitive, attracting ongoing investment and providing jobs for future generations.
• Alcoa has been contributing to Australia’s economy since 1963, investing more than $12 billion over 56 years.
• More than 65 per cent of Alcoa’s total annual revenue stays in Australia through wages, local purchasing, taxes, royalties, capital investment and dividends to Australian shareholders.
• Alcoa employs more than 4,275 people in Australia. About 3,750 live in WA.
• In our 56 years, Alcoa has taken on more than 2000 apprentices, trainees and graduates.
• Alcoa invested $1.7 billion with Australian suppliers in 2017.
• Alcoa paid $654 million in Australian wages, salaries and associated benefits in 2017.
• Alcoa paid $400 million in State, Federal and Local government taxes and royalties in 2017.
• Alcoa made $4.2 million in community contributions in 2017.
Alcoa (NYSE: AA) is a global industry leader in bauxite, alumina and aluminum products, with a strong portfolio of value-added cast and rolled products and substantial energy assets. Alcoa is built on a foundation of strong values and operating excellence dating back nearly 130 years to the world-changing discovery that made aluminum an affordable and vital part of modern life. Since developing the aluminum industry, and throughout our history, our talented employees have followed on with breakthrough innovations and best practices that have led to efficiency, safety, sustainability and stronger communities wherever we operate. Visit us online on www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.