March 19, 2020
In response to the threat of COVID-19, Alcoa has implemented swift measures to protect the health of our workforce, prevent infection in our locations and mitigate impacts from the global pandemic.
Our team of more than 13,000 employees reacted quickly to protect each other, our locations and our business. Today, all of Alcoa’s bauxite mines, alumina refineries, and aluminum manufacturing facilities remain in operation with comprehensive measures in place for health and business continuity.
“We implemented wide-ranging actions in response to this global pandemic, and we will continue to monitor this quickly evolving situation,” said Alcoa President and Chief Executive Officer Roy Harvey. “Our primary focus is on the health of people, and we’re making decisions aligned with our values.”
The Company’s global crisis response team is active and working with each of our regions. Every worldwide location has implemented comprehensive preparedness and response plans. Those plans include social distancing protocols and other protective actions aligned with guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.
Additional actions include:
- Eliminating non-essential travel
- Providing work-from-home procedures where practical
- Restricting access to anyone who has visited or transited through high-risk countries. Everyone must be free of the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 before entering our sites
- Developing and implementing additional hygiene protocols and cleaning routines at our locations
- Issuing global communications to educate and update employees on public health practices to mitigate the potential spread of the virus in our communities
- Deploying communications to our suppliers, vendors, customers, and delivery personnel on our comprehensive actions.
The current situation caused by the virus is very dynamic, and it is too soon to speculate about any impact to Alcoa.
Right now, we are focused on protecting our people, working with our communities and ensuring resilience in the face of this global crisis.