Core elements of Alcoa’s Supplier Standards are sustainability, environment, health, and safety.
We require our suppliers to operate in an environmentally responsible and efficient manner to minimize adverse impacts on the environment. This includes:
- Complying with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules, including waste handling and energy-efficient processes and products;
- Implementing available systems to reduce or eliminate wastes, including recycling, reuse, or material substitution;
- Managing risks and hazards;
- Encouraging community engagement to foster social and economic development; and
- Committing to a safe and healthy work environment.
To integrate sustainability into our supply chain in Europe, we are participating in Alcoa’s Global Supplier Sustainability Program. This program focuses on our key suppliers that pose the greatest sustainability opportunities and risks, with approximately 17% based in Europe.
In 2012, our top 50 suppliers in Europe completed a questionnaire to assess their respective sustainability programs. Topics assessed included environmental management systems, health and safety programs, labor practices, and more. We assigned a single procurement contact to work with suppliers identified as having lagging or emerging programs to help improve or expand them. In 2013, 50% of the suppliers with lagging and emerging ratings demonstrated program improvements and moved into the active category.