Our history began at the turn of the century after a three-mile canal was dug linking the St. Lawrence and Grasse Rivers. A dam was constructed to harness the hydroelectric power which marked the founding of the St. Lawrence River Power Company.
In 1902, representatives of the power enterprise invited Charles Martin Hall, the man who discovered an economical method for producing aluminum and the co-founder of the Pittsburgh Reduction Company (known today as Alcoa), to view the project at Massena. Hall recognized the potential the area held and committed to build a plant that would use this new electrical power source for the energy intensive production of aluminum.
Thanks to Hall's vision, Alcoa's Massena Operations is the oldest continuously operating aluminum production and fabricating facility in the Western Hemisphere.