Alcoa Trademark History

At Alcoa, we sign our work with pride, just as craftsmen have done since the dawn of civilization. Our trademark is part of the company's exclusive signature, and as our company has evolved, so has the Alcoa signature.

The name Alcoa and the trademark are registered with the U.S. Patent Office and are used around the world to identify the company's products, services, literature, and advertising. The Alcoa trademark is widely recognized as a symbol of quality and integrity. Alcoa also has a number of domestic and international registered trademarks that have significant recognition within the markets that are served. Examples include the name “Alcoa” and the Alcoa symbol for aluminum products, Howmet metal castings, Huck® fasteners, Kawneer® building panels and Dura-Bright® wheels with easy-clean surface treatments. The Company’s rights under its trademarks are important to the Company as a whole and, to varying degrees, important to each business segment.

Our logo is one of our most valuable assets. To ensure that it is and remains a strong representation of our company, it must be used consistently across all lines of communications. Today, the Alcoa corporate trademark appears in one color: Alcoa Blue. This color has been specially formulated by Pantone®, Inc. While Alcoa Blue is the designated color for our logo, it may also be printed in black or reversed to white in certain instances. Under no circumstances should other colors be used. The logo has two configurations: A horizontal configuration (Version A) and a vertical configuration (Version B).
 



1999
Alcoa changed its corporate name in January 1999 from Aluminum Company of America to Alcoa Inc. to reflect the global scope of the company and its diverse workforce. This formalized the use of the name, which has been in popular use around the world since 1929. New York designer Arnold Saks modernized the classic trademark, originally designed by Saul Bass, to reflect the character and style that is taking the company into the 21st century.
1963
Renowned designer Saul Bass created this signature in 1963. It combines a graphic symbol and our name, set in a specially designed typeface known as the Alcoa Alphabet.
1955
In 1955, Harley Earl Associates of Detroit designed a bold new rectangular mark. The shield remained, though reduced in size, and two equilateral triangles dominated the symbol.
1929
By 1929, the short form "Alcoa" had caught on. A new trademark took the shape of a Norman shield and the Alcoa name.
1910
In 1907, The Pittsburgh Reduction Company was renamed Aluminum Company of America. In 1910, the company built a dam in the Great Smoky Mountains and established a town in East Tennessee, named Alcoa, to house workers.
1894
Our first corporate mark appeared in 1894, when Alcoa was still known as The Pittsburgh Reduction Company. The original mark — a cross over a circle, along with the company's initials and the word "aluminum" — was used for 35 years, with only slight modification.


The name Alcoa and the trademark are registered with the U.S. Patent Office and are used around the world to identify the company's products, services, literature, and advertising. The Alcoa trademark is widely recognized as a symbol of quality and integrity.