June 18, 2013
Alcoa Tennessee Operations Raises Centennial Flag
As part of its celebration of 100 years in the community, Alcoa Inc. Tennessee Operations employees gathered today to hoist a new centennial flag at its North Plant administration building on North Wright Road.
The date is significant in that on June 18, 1913, a conference was held in Pittsburgh, PA with several aluminum company officials, including Alcoa President Arthur Vining Davis and Chief Hydraulic Engineer James W. Rickey. The group decided that if a suitable tract of land could be found, a site would be constructed near Maryville where ample railroad lines and power would be available. Plans for the new site were developed days later and the Goddard farm was purchased on June 27, 1913 to start bringing the greatest aluminum company to East Tennessee. The rest is history.
The graphic that is on the flag will be seen all over the community during the coming year, including on a commemorative aluminum can which will debut at the City of Alcoa's FreedomFest on June 29.