ZAO ‘Alcoa SMZ’ Modernization Program
When Samara Metallurgical Plant (SMZ) entered Alcoa in February 2005, the equipment upgrade program at SMZ moved to a new level. The plant received an opportunity to invest simultaneously at all the four main production units of the plant: Casthouse, Flat-Rolled Products, Forgings and Extrusions. Over 350 million dollars were invested to upgrade the plant’s technological chain over the period 2005-2008.
A number of large-scale investment projects were completed under the complex upgrade of all SMZ production business units.
The following equipment has been upgraded at the plant:
- Unique, the world-largest hydraulic presses – the vertical press with the capacity of 75,000 tons and the horizontal press with the capacity of 20,000 tons.
- Casting unit for can stock production
- 5-stand hot rolling mill
- Vertical quenching furnaces and ageing furnaces
- Stretching machine for extruded products
New equipment was put into operation:
- Two casting units
- Slitting line for can stock
- Slab saw line
- Pusher-type furnace for ingots heating and homogenization
- Horizontal quenching furnace
- Coating line for aluminum coated sheet production (in 2009)
These changes made it possible to reduce production costs of the plant, to improve the quality and competitive capacity of the manufactured products, ensure safe and comfortable working conditions for the employees of the location.
The changes that have taken place at Samara Metallurgical Plant since 2005 ensure that the plant remains the leading Russian producer of fabricated aluminum and strengthens this position from year to year.