History of Belaya Kalitva Metallurgical Plant
(ZAO Alcoa Metallurg Rus)
History of ZAO “Alcoa Metallurg RUS” is inseparably connected with the development of modern Russian aviation, space exploration, machine manufacturing, construction and other sectors of national economy. The plant was the first in the world to introduce the ingot casting process. It was the first in Europe to produce wide large-size sheets, and the first in Russia to manufacture highly effective semi-finished products, wafered sheets, ribbed sheets, javelins, pots and pans with non-stick Teflon coating.
The history of Belaya Kalitva Metallurgical Plant dates back to 1939. At that time a great number of industrial enterprises were being built in Russia to provide metal for the newly created aviation industry. The Cossak village Ust-Belokalitvenskaya in Rostov region was chosen as a place for the future plant. Convenient geographical position, vast natural supplies of building material attracted attention of scientists who believed that the region had good opportunities for industrial development.
In summer 1939 the village was visited by the first builders of the future plant. According to 5-year government plan, the factory was called South-Eastern plant for light alloys treatment. At that time around 500 people were working at the construction site.
In 1941 the construction of the new plant was interrupted by the Great Patriotic War. The plant was given the second birth after the end of the war. On May 2, 1948 the government of the USSR issued a decree on construction of Belaya Kalitva aluminum fabricating plant.
Hard work resumed on the former industrial site. Despite all the difficulties of the post war period the base and the walls for the core manufacturing shops and non-core production facilities were erected after in the first few months. At the same time they built the residential area for the metallurgists, which included blocks of flats, schools, hospitals, recreation centre.
On July 6, 1953 the first industrial facility – a block of repair shops – was put into operation by the State Committee.
On August 5, 1954 Pipe Extrusions manufactured their first products from the ingots delivered by one of the plants in Leningrad (currently St. Petersbutrg).
On October 12, 1954, Casthouse manufactured its first cast products. Traditionally this day is considered to be the birthday of the plant.
At the end of 1954 Belaya Kalitva aluminum fabricating plant was commissioned.
Among the significant production facilities of the following years there were commissioned 2 Flat Rolled Product shops (1956, 1960), Rod and Profile shop (1964), Forgings and Extrusions shop (1970), shop for consumer goods (1969) and other facilities. In 1966 Belaya Kalitva aluminum fabricating plant was renamed Belaya Kalitva Metallurgical Plant (BKMZ).
Casting developed in two main directions: Production volume growth and increase of the variety of items produced as a result of introduction of the new facilities and updating of the operating casting machines and improvement of the metal quality. In 1963 improved inductive hot air furnace was used for the first time in Russia to produce metal of higher purity. A little later there were developed and implemented electro-flux refining and melt filtration through fiberglass mesh. Implementation of these 2 processes enabled to produce ingots for the semi-finished products for airspace and defense industry. In 1969 the process of round ingot serial casting into electromagnetic catalyst was mastered. In a year the electromagnetic catalyst machine for flat ingot casting was constructed for the first time in the world.
Flat Rolled Products
The history of this production facility started in 1956 with the commissioning of the first Flat Rolled Products shop. In 1960 the second shop was put into operation. In 1994 both of the shops were united into one production department. The first hot rolling operator who launched the rolling mills in both shops was V.K. Bermas, who later became Hero of the Social Labour. In 1960 the team of the Flat Rolled Products team learnt to produce the largest sheets in Europe. The width of the sheet could reach 3150mm. In 1963 for the first time in Russia the team learnt to produce embossed sheet with diamond pattern, three-layer sheets and other types of products through cold rolling of treadplates. In 1967 the ministry’s task to master the mass production of circles for export was fulfilled. The success of Belaya Kalitva’s rolling operators was marked in 1969: Flat Rolled Products shop of BKMZ was named best among the similar shops in other plants.
At the end of the 70-s – the beginning of the 80-s the old generation of aviation and space technology gave way to the new inventions. In aviation-oriented metallurgy there was a demand to create special production of large size and long length products, broad sheets of high purity and high strength alloys. In 1978 the construction of a new area of Flat Rolled Products shop was started – on completion of the construction the area was equipped with thermal adjustage equipment. The Flat Rolled Products shop is still one of the leading production departments at the plant.
Rod and Profile Production
In December 24, 1964 the first product was manufactured in Rod and Profile shop. In 1960-s the production technology was developed and the mass production of special profiles with precision heavy end and hollow profiles was mastered. In 1969 for the first time in the metallurgical industry there was introduced the technology of profile extrusion and processing out of the alloy grade 01420, which was developed by the metallurgists of Belaya Kalitva together with VIAM specialists as a durable, highly resistant to corrosion and comparatively lightweight alloy.
In 1978 the industrial ministry gave the plant an important task to produce extra-complicated ribbed profiles used in coolers of power transistor electronics manufactured by electrical engineering industry. For the first time in Russia the plant engineers took up the development and mass production of such complicated profiles with technical characteristics substantially surpassing coolers produced through casting. The development of the profiles production was done together with the companies which used these profiles – VILS (All-Russia Institute of Light Alloys) and VEI (All-Russian Electrotechnical Institute). Soon after that the profiles were nominated for the highest quality ward and in October 1978 they were awarded the State Quality Mark.
Pipe Shop manufactured its first product in August 1955. In order to implement the project of the State Committee of the USSR which focused on increasing aluminum pipes production for the needs of mechanical engineering industry, shipbuilding, automotive industry and other spheres of national economy the pipe shop had to develop its work in two directions simultaneously: to increase pipe production dramatically and master new equipment. During the subsequent years the plant specialists together with the specialist from VNIIMETMASH developed and introduced the technology and production process of hot extruded pipes.
During the second half of the 60-s a new technology of pipe production was introduced: a method of coil drawing. This method predetermined the radical change in tube production technology.
Forgings originated on March 25, 1970. On this day the first five forged samples were produced in the newly opened shop. For the first time in industry the high level of technique and technology of the Forgings was proved by the development and implementation of the whole range of highly efficient technological processes and die-forging designs which had been recently invented such as production of cylinder forging for aviation wheels of complicated configuration, large size cone shells for defense industry and other kinds of products.
In 1973 an industrial meeting was held on BKMZ. It was dedicated to review and generalization of the advanced experience of the forgings shop. During the 1970-s the forgings was visited by the minister of aviation industry V.A. Kazakov three times and twice by his deputy and later minister P.V. Dementiev.
Today the rod-profile production, pipe production and forgings and extrusions are united into one department - Extrusions.
The production originated in 1957 when the plant started producing javelin. After the Consumer Goods Production Shop had been put into operation (in 1969) the plant mastered the production of vaulting pole. In 1970-s the shop started producing other kinds of products: soldier flasks, kitchenware, window cornices, etc.
In 1980 the Russian market was full of aluminum kitchenware. It was decided to master the production of kitchenware with non-stick coating. The metallurgists of Belaya Kalitva became first in this industry. Since 1982 kitchenware with non-stick coating produced by our plant has been on display in national and international trade shows. New kind of kitchenware found its customers in all the towns and cities of our country and also abroad.
Residential buildings and public amenities
The plant started erecting residential buildings and public utilities in the middle of 1960-s. The plant gave the city a medical centre for 150 people, a chess club, 10 kindergartens, a cinema for 1100 people, a hospital for 125 people, the hotel “Inturist”, a rowing base, two cafes, a free dairy distribution centre for babies, a park, a registry office, a trade center, a dentist’s office, a public amenity with the canteen, an assembly hall, a gym, a student’s dormitory for 800 people, the Sports Palace, a health resort “Kayala”. The residential buildings include more than 360 000 square meters of residential space.
During its history the plant received numerous city, regional and governmental awards. In 1955 it received for the first time the Red Banner for successful work. In 1964 the plant staff was granted the title “The Factory of the Communist Labour”. In 1981 The Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR awarded the plant with the Orders of the Red Banner of Labour for “the successful reconstruction and commissioning of additional additional production facilities.”
In 1997 the Russian Federation held a competition for the highest national award for quality. As a result of this competition according to the Order of the Government of the Russian Federation #1439 dated November 18, 1997 the plant was awarded with a diploma of the winner for achieving considerable results in product quality and for the implementation of the highly efficient methods of quality management.
About 350 employees of the plant were awarded with orders and medals for successful work and more than 130 people received gold, silver and bronze medals of the All-Union Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy. The employees of the plant are proud of their heroes: B.I. Bykov – was named hero of the Soviet Union and B.K. Bermas – hero of the Socialistic Labour. 29 people – laureates of the State Award of the USSR and the award of the Council of Ministers – worked on a plant. 7 plant employees became candidates of the technical science.
The most important contributors to the construction, launch, equipping of core and non-core shops, organization of production, modernization, are the following location managers: A.Z. Bliznyuk (1949 – 1951), V.E. Prihodko (1951 – 1954 гг.), A.A. Chernyaev (1954 – 1967), P.E. Popov (1967 – 1974). G.S. Safarov was managing the location for 21 years (1974-1995). He demonstrated creativity and organizational skills at all levels of the production development. He was awarded with Order of October revolution, Order of Red Banner of Labor, Order of Peoples Friendship, Badge of Honor, Medal for Valorous Labor, Gold and Silver Medal of Exhibition of Economic Achievements. Mr. Safarov was named Honorable Citizen of Belaya Kalitva. His successor was A.V. Biryulev – a laureate of the State Award of the USSR, awarded with Medal for Valorous Labor, Order of Red Banner of Labor, Order of October revolution, Order for Distinguished Service. In 2003-2006 M.G. Spichak was Location Manager. Under his leadership the plant actively implemented new technologies and installed new equipment, e.g. Production of thick sheet and thin plates. In 2006-2009 I.P. Osmachko was managing the location. He was named Honored Metallurgist and awarded with Order of Friendship. V.Ya. Pavlov is the current Location Manager (since 2009). He was named Honorable Metallurgist, Best Employee of the Don Industrial Complex, was awarded with the letter of appreciation on behalf of Rostov Region Governor.