Alcoa Heat Exchanger Materials
Alcoa is a leading supplier of aluminum brazing sheet and aluminum extruded tubes for automotive heat exchanger market as well as commercial/residential and industrial heat exchanger markets.
With a Research and Development center dedicated to the heat exchanger materials market, and global production capabilities, Alcoa can provide leading edge materials anywhere in the world. With our superior technical support, Alcoa helps its customers meet the HVAC and engine cooling challenges of tomorrow.
Alcoa heat exchanger materials are used on every type of major heat exchanger, including:
- Heater cores
- Charge air coolers/intercoolers
- Engine oil coolers/transmission oil coolers
- Brazing is a metal joining method which provides a permanent bond between the parts joined with the help of a brazing filler metal.
- The composition of the liner-alloy is such that its melting point is slightly below the melting range of the core alloy.
- Brazing material is going to be joined mainly with finstock (either unclad or clad) or tubes (either extruded or welded from rolled aluminium).
- Brazing is done at about 600 degrees Celsius.
- The cladding can be on one or both sides and comprises 2-17 % of the thickness on each side.
- In recent years, brazed aluminium heat exchangers have been increasingly introduced to the automotive industry. Examples include automotive radiators, condensers, evaporators, heat cores, oil coolers, transmission oil coolers, air charge coolers, and fuel-cooling systems.
- Lighter than copper, which was used for engine cooling in the past
- Easy to recycle
- Cheaper than copper
- High heat transfer performance
- Better durability
Recent Developments made by Alcoa Ultra Long Life Material (Multi-Layer-Material)
- Improved corrosion resistance to allow chromate coating removal at our customer locations
- Higher strength, good formability to allow downgauging
- Higher burst resistance
Alcoa currently has three brazing-sheet production facilities:
- AMP - Alcoa Mill Products, Lancaster (Pennsylvania, North America)
- AFRPE - Alcoa Flat rolled Products Europe, Koefem-plant (Szekesfehervar, Hungary)
- Alcoa Aluminium Co., Ltd. (Kunshan, China)
Global and Regional Customers
Viewing documents in PDF format requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download from the Adobe Web site.