Year





Printer Friendly Version
go





In addition to www.alcoa.com, Alcoa is an active participant in and uses social media to communicate information about the company. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn are powerful tools that allow us to connect with our customers, investors, potential employees and fans.

Alcoa on FacebookAlcoa on Facebook
Alcoa on LinkedInAlcoa on LinkedIn
Alcoa on TwitterAlcoa on Twitter
AlcoaTV on YoutubeAlcoaTV on Youtube

June 28, 2001

Alcoa To Reduce Production at Alumar Smelter in Brazil

PITTSBURGH--June 28, 2001-- Alcoa announced today that it is reducing aluminum production at the Alumar smelter in Sãn Luis, Brazil, by 63,000 metric tons per year (mtpy), effective July 1, 2001. Alumar had been operating at full capacity of 370,000 mtpy. Alcoa Aluminio, Alcoa's Brazilian affiliate, receives 54% of Alumar's production, or 34,000 mtpy of the reduction; Billiton Plc. receives the remaining 46%, or 29,000 mtpy of the reduction. The action is prompted by the Brazilian government's request to reduce consumption of electricity in the northern area of Brazil.

The net effect of the Alumar curtailment will not be material to Alcoa's full year 2001 earnings.

Alcoa owns 59% of Alcoa Aluminio S.A. Alcoa's worldwide primary aluminum capacity is 4.1 million mtpy. Alcoa currently has approximately 700,000 mtpy of idled capacity.

Editorial Contact:
Bonita A. Cersosimo
412-553-4462

Investor Relations Contact:
Charles D. McLane, Jr.
212-836-2674