Over the last decade, as corporations have committed to becoming more transparent, sustainability reporting has become common practice. To this end, Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation have developed tools to measure, present and accelerate the progress of environmental and education programs.
One of these tools is the Alcoa Community Framework, which helps Alcoa locations around the world determine needs in their local communities and gauge the effectiveness of our outreach efforts.
Of course, our success depends heavily on the strength of our partnerships and people. For 2012, Alcoa has a goal of reaching one million volunteer hours, including 100,000 hours of skills-based volunteering. We look forward to another collaborative year together with our employees and partners!
Outcomes we will be tracking in 2012:ENVIRONMENT
- Reduce emissions and the use of natural resources
- Develop and set standards around lifecycle and GHG emissions measurement
- Increase aluminum recycling, moving towards our goal of 75% by 2015
- Replenish the land, primarily through effective tree planting
- Develop solutions that make mass transportation and buildings more sustainable
- Develop and partner on promoting science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education
- Promote environmental awareness and create environmental community ambassadors
- Prepare college students and young professionals to improve their skills or pursue a career in Environment, Health and Safety
- Provide education and training opportunities to gain employment in engineering and manufacturing