April 21, 2013
Alcoa Employees Take Action During Third Annual Green Works
To celebrate environmental holidays such as Earth Day, Arbor Day and World Environment Day, thousands of Alcoa (NYSE: AA) employees around the world are coming together, from April 21 to June 21, to make their communities cleaner and greener.
Green Works was launched in 2011 to also support several initiatives at Alcoa, including: Earthwatch Institute, Ten Million Trees, Make an Impact, Together Greening, which focus on our core environmental priorities to Reduce, Recycle and Replenish.
“As we celebrate Alcoa's 125th anniversary, let’s enlist our friends and families and re-commit to improving the environment,” said Paula Davis, President, Alcoa Foundation. “Whether it’s conserving energy, recycling waste or planting trees, it’s fun to do together and it’s a great way to give back!”
There are hundreds of service projects expected to take place in Alcoa communities around the world. A few examples are:
- Asia: Alcoa employess will plant trees, beautify public scpaces, and host campaigns encouraging people to protect the environment.
- Australia: Alcoa of Australia will partner Conservation Volunteers, Greening Australia and Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Rehabilitation to plant trees and build new habitats for wildlife.
- Brazil: Alcoa volunteers will plant trees, educate students about how to protect the environment and host lectures about sustainability.
- Canada: More than 4,000 trees will be distributed to Alcoa employees, and in partnership with Tree Canada, 30,000 trees will be planted in communities where Alcoa operates.
- Europe: In Germany, Alcoa Fastening Systems (AFS) Hildesheim will host an Environment Day celebration. At Alcoa Europe’s headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, 45 Alcoans, family members and friends will combine wellness and the environment by participating in the ‘20KM de Lausanne,’ a run through the scenic Lake Geneva area. Alcoa Norway will launch its Sustainability Report and other locations across the region will plant trees, organize lunch and learns and facilitate presentations on Alcoa’s sustainability efforts.
- Suriname: Suralco volunteers will partner with community-based organizations and the Girl Scouts to clean and replenish playgrounds in urban areas.
- Russia: Alcoa employees will plant 15,000 throughout Samara in an effort to reforest areas damaged by fires.
- United States: Across the U.S., Alcoa employees will beautify parks, teach students about recycling, host electronic recycling drives, and plant native trees.
A Tree in Your Honor
In recognition of Green Works and Alcoa’s 125th anniversary, for every “like” of Alcoa Foundation’s Facebook page, the Foundation will plant a tree in your honor.
About Alcoa Foundation
Alcoa Foundation is one of the largest corporate foundations in the U.S., with assets of approximately US$460 million. Founded 60 years ago, Alcoa Foundation has invested more than US$570 million since 1952. In 2012, Alcoa Foundation contributed more than US$21 million to nonprofit organizations throughout the world, building innovative partnerships to improve the environment and educate tomorrow’s leaders for careers in manufacturing and engineering. The work of Alcoa Foundation is further enhanced by Alcoa’s thousands of employee volunteers who share their talents and time to make a difference in the communities where Alcoa operates. Through the Company’s signature Month of Service program, in 2012, a record 60 percent of Alcoa employees took part in more than 1,050 events across 24 countries, benefiting more than 450,000 people and 2,050 nonprofit organizations. For more information, visit www.alcoafoundation.com and follow @AlcoaFoundation on Twitter.