September 8, 2011
Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation Remember the 10th Anniversary of 9/11
To commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11, Alcoa employees and Alcoa Foundation are partnering with nonprofit organizations and companies through community service and sponsorships to remember those we lost, those who have served and are currently serving in the military and the families who were impacted by the tragic events.
Below is a list of how Alcoa employees and Alcoa Foundation are commemorating the anniversary. To find ways to recognize the anniversary in your community, visit http://911day.org to find service projects or to make a tribute.
September 7 and 8
• 9/11 Memorial: Friends of the Memorial $10,000 Alcoa Foundation sponsorship
Members of the Alcoa Foundation team and New York office employees attended a fundraiser breakfast hosted by New York City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg and journalist, Christiane Amanpour. The proceeds from the sponsorship support the maintenance of the memorial museum.
• FDNY: Broadway Performance of “The Guys” $25,000 Alcoa Foundation sponsorship
Alcoa Foundation co-sponsored a special two-night performance of “The Guys” on Broadway, a play about the firemen lost in 9/11. The first matinee performance on September 7 was for firemen and their families, including families of fallen firefighters. The second performance on September 8 is a fundraiser for corporations and the public. The proceeds support families of first responders who were lost on 9/11.
• United Way Day of Caring
Alcoans from the facilities in Warrick (Indiana) and Mt. Holly (South Carolina) are participating in the United Way’s Day of Caring. Warrick is sponsoring the event with the American Red Cross and Mt. Holly is partnering with the Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
September 10 and 11
• Flight 93 National Memorial in PA $25,000 Alcoa Foundation sponsorship
The Flight 93 National Memorial will be dedicated during a public ceremony on September 10 and the anniversary commemorative service will be held on September 11. Alcoa employees from our Washington, D.C. office will attend the memorial service in honor of those who lost their lives on Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA. This donation will support the planting of trees to restore the local eco-system.
• The Stephen Siller Tunnel To Towers Run, Fernadale, WA
Intalco Works is sponsoring the Tunnel to Tower Run—a 5k event in Ferndale, Washington honoring the courage and dedication of first responders, military men and women and their families. Several employees who are volunteer firefighters organized Alcoa’s participation in the event.
• Newspaper ad honoring volunteer service in the Port Lavaca Wave
The Point Comfort plant in Calhoun County Texas has placed an ad in the local newspaper’s special commemorative issue, thanking their local volunteers for service to the community.
• In Cleveland, Ohio, the Veterans Committee is conducting a memorial ceremony which includes flying the American flag at half staff accompanied by a moment of silence.
• Employees at the Fullerton office in California will receive a post card and an American Flag in remembrance of the victims, and the sacrifices made by police, fire and military heroes.
• The Lafayette, Indiana location will fly the American flag at half-staff from sunrise to sunset.
• In Chandler, Arizona employees will observe moments of silence, make time for reflections and fly the American flag at half-staff from sunrise to sunset.