Five-star safety performance is one of Alcoa's most important contributions to automakers and the public. The superior crash absorption properties of high strength Alcoa aluminum, matched with intelligent vehicle design, improve the safety of today's vehicles pound for pound.
- Aluminum can absorb two times the amount of crash energy as steel.
- Aluminum's superior ability to absorb impacts and fold predictably in a collision protect the vehicle's occupants from the crash energy.
- Aluminum allows for the size and energy absorption capacity of a vehicle's critical front- and back-end crumple zones to be maintained or even increased in size for added safety without increasing overall weight.
- Vehicles lightweighted with aluminum require shorter stopping distances, helping drivers avoid crashes altogether.
- Multi-layer hoods absorb headform impact better than steel.
- Extruded bumpers save weight and efficiently transfer loads to structure.
- Aluminum's versatility provides key benefits such as ease of forming, machining, joining and finishing.
The Tesla Model S, built with Alcoa aluminum, has secured the top safety rating from the National Highway Transportation and Safety Association. It's the latest proof point that the future belongs to cars made of aluminum.