At A Glance
P.O. Box 2084
Baie-Comeau, Québec G5C 2A0
Bauxite, Alumina, and Chemicals
Located on a rocky promontory overlooking the majestic St. Lawrence River, the Baie-Comeau Smelter has been successively owned by the Canadian British Aluminum Company, the Reynolds Metals Company and by Alcoa (since 2000). Built in 1957, it was expanded on four different occasions between 1957 and 1991, in addition to an upgrade of the Söderberg potlines in the early 1980s. The $1.2 billion project to modernize the smelter reached the feasibility phase in November 2011. This phase should be completed by the end of 2012 and construction could begin as soon as 2013. The project involves replacing the Söderberg technology with new cells that use prebake anodes, and adopting a more advanced technology for the existing 480 prebake cells. These upgrades will ensure the Baie-Comeau Smelter’s long-term viability and reduce its environmental footprint.
The smelter also announced in 2011 that it would be revamping its port facilities, and work is currently underway. In addition, it has committed to finding a sustainable solution for the rehabilitation of the Anse du Moulin. This process was launched end of the summer 2011 and, after a solution has been chosen, rehabilitation should be completed by 2015.
The smelter is Baie-Comeau’s biggest employer and its employees are highly involved in the community. In 2007, the plant received the Dollard-Morin award for volunteerism. It supports a large number of community groups and causes, including the Manicouagan-Uapishka World Biosphere Reserve. The plant was recognized under the St. Lawrence Action Plan for its industrial wastewater treatment initiatives. More recently, it received the Mérite Québecois de la sécurité civile for its contribution to an emergency readiness training program for Manicouagan Regional County Municipality stakeholders. In addition, the plant obtained the ICI ON RECYCLE! designation (Performance level) from RECYC-QUÉBEC.
Construction of the Manicouagan Power Station began in 1951. The first phase of the project was completed in 1952. Today, the station has an installed capacity of 335 megawatts and is owned 60 percent by Hydro-Quebec and 40 percent by Alcoa. The station provides power to Alcoa’s Baie-Comeau aluminum smelter.
Construction cost: $1.65 billion
Production: T-ingots, rolling ingots, billets, rod
Production capacity: 400,000 MT / year
Port facilities: Owned by the smelter
Certifications: ISO 9001:2000, ISO 14001:2004, and ISO 17025
Economic spin-offs for Québec: $549 million invested in salaries, taxes and goods and services, including $264 million in local purchases