Community Engagement

You want to apply for a grant?
go 

Selected partnerships

 

Combined community giving

 

Alcoa Canada increases volunteer hours
more 

Environmental commitment

 

Tree no. 125,000 symbolizes 125 years of Alcoa – Sixty Alcoa employees take part in a tree planting on Mount Royal
more 

Commitment to education

 

Alcoa Foundation encourages the exchange of best practices in the field of environmental education
more 

 

Every year, Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation invest millions of dollars in the company’s host communities around the word. Whether at the global or local level, our grants are awarded to meet the needs and respond to the aspirations of our communities. This approach towards giving marshals the expertise, energy and shared values of Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation to leverage the best practices of socially responsible businesses around the world.

 

The combined investments of GPP Canada and Alcoa Foundation reached nearly $3.5 million in 2013, reflecting the second $1 million annual contribution to the Alcoa Sustainable Communities Fund. Alcoa will invest the same amount in each of the next 23 years for a total investment of $25 million towards the sustainability of the three communities where our smelters are located.

 

Over 80% of Alcoa Foundation’s donations, excluding programs that support volunteering, were made in equal proportion to environmental and educational initiatives. The remaining 20% funded community improvement projects.

 

Also on the environmental front, Alcoa Canada Global Primary Products is the lead partner for the Maison du développement durable and Alcoa Foundation was instrumental in the launch of a world first, a methodology for assessing life cycle impacts on a regional basis, developed by École Polytechnique de Montréal and known as IMPACT World+.

 

Community Investments
Includes Alcoa Canada Global Primary Products (GPP Canada) and Alcoa Foundation grants

 

Total
Amount

Details

 

 

GPP Canada grants

Alcoa Sustainable Communities Funds

Alcoa Foundation (AF) grants

AF programs
(Alcoa )

ACTION – Bravo! – AIM

2009

1,717,499$

1,156,481$

-

362,518$

198,500$

2010

1,822,763$

930,325$

-

686,688$

205,750$

2011

2,715,141$

1,635,341$

-

848,300$

231,500$

2012

3,496,787$

1,511,537$

1,000,000$

732,000$

253,250$

2013

3,491,757$

1,163,007$

1,000,000$

1,085,000$

243,750$