We are fully integrated into and have a powerful socioeconomic impact on the communities where we operate.
Because of our social commitment and strong sense of belonging to these communities, we aim to contribute to the quality of life in these areas with a view towards sustainable development.
Our Action Principles
- We assume active leadership focused on partnership to mobilize communities towards sustainable development.
- We work in consultation and in concert with our communities.
- We use our resources and those of Alcoa Foundation to improve the quality of life in our communities.
- We support community volunteerism among our employees.
- We contribute to collective wealth creation by supporting regional economic development and initiatives put forward by our local partners.
- We communicate our sustainable development performance in a transparent manner.
Sustainable development: Under Québec law, sustainable development is defined as development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Sustainable development is based on a long-term vision that takes into account the essential link between the environmental, social and economic dimensions of development activities.
Collective wealth creation: From a sustainable development standpoint, the creation of collective wealth brings about an evolution of humankind, heightened well-being and enhanced quality of life in communities, the sustainability of resources, and an improved capacity of communities to take charge of their future.
Quality of life: Quality of life can be defined as access to education, employment, health and social services, cultural and leisure activities, as well as the fair distribution of resources, economic security and a healthy environment.