Baesa works with the surrounding communities towards continuously improving the region. A lot of progress has been made in the living conditions of the population since the power station started being built and this has led to a new social and economic panorama.
An example of this is the SC 456 highway that links Santa Catarina to Rio Grande do Sul. Thanks to the partnership between Baesa and the Santa Catarina State government, regional integration has been improved now that the road that links Anita Garibaldi (SC) and Pinhal da Serra (RS) has been paved.
Professional training is another important factor for guaranteeing the self-sustainability of the region’s families. Since 2005, when families were resettled in rural communities Baesa has been promoting training courses and helping local residents develop new economic activities, such as milk production, fish-farming in artificial ponds, bee-keeping, handicrafts, and free-range chicken and pig farming.
To achieve good results Baesa employs another fundamental tool: its partnership with recognizably skilled entities, like Empresa de Pesquisa Agropecuária e Extensão Rural de Santa Catarina (Epagri) [Agriculture, Livestock Farming and Rural Extension Company of Santa Catarina], Associação Riograndense de Empreendimentos de Assistência Técnica e Extensão Rural (EMATER/RS)[Rio Grande Association of Technical Assistance and Rural Extension Enterprises], Serviço Nacional de Aprendizagem Rural (SENAR) [National Rural Apprenticeship Service], Serviço Brasileiro de Aprendizagem Comercial (SENAC)[Brazilian Commercial Apprenticeship Service], Serviço Brasileiro de Apoio a Micro e Pequenas Empresas (SEBRAE) [Brazilian Service for the Support of Micro and Small Enterprises], the University of the West of Santa Catarina (UNOESC) and others.
The quality of the social and environmental projects developed by Baesa is evident in the various prizes it has won:
- Ecology Expression Award 2010, from Editora Expressão;
Company Citizen Award 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, from the Associação dos Dirigentes de Vendas e Marketing do Brasil (ADVB-SC) [Association of Sales and Marketing Directors of Brazil];
- Excellence in Environmental Management Certificate in 2009 and 2010, from Editora Expressão and Civitas Social Responsibility;
500 Biggest Companies in the South 2009 and 2010 Award, from Amanhã magazine;
- Oswaldo Cecchia Human Being Prize 2010, from the Brazilian Human Resources Association;
- Eloy Chaves Medal 2010, in the Health & Safety Category, from the Brazilian Association of Electricity Companies [ABCE];
- Recognition Medal from the Ministry of Sports;
- Social Responsibility Certificate 2008 and 2010, from the Legislative Assembly of Rio Grande do Sul;
- Fritz Müller Trophy 2007, 2008 and 2009, from the Environment Foundation (Fatma – environmental body of Santa Catarina);
Friend of Responsible Paternity Institute Trophy, from the Responsible Paternity Institute;
- Friend of Children Company 2008, 2009 and 2010, from the ABRINQ Foundation;
- Brazil Protection 2009 Award, from Proteção magazine;
Human Being 2009 Award, from the Brazilian Human Resources Association;
- Sesi Quality at Work Award, 2008, from Sesi-SC;
José Paschoal Baggio Entrepreneur Award 2006 and 2008, from the Correio Lageano newspaper;
- COGE Foundation Award 2008;
- Mário Henrique Simonsen Award: Excellence in the Social Balance Sheet - 2007, from the Commercial Association of Rio de Janeiro;
Top in Marketing Award 2004, from the Association of Sales and Marketing Directors of Brazil (ADVB-SC).
Hydroelectric Barra Grande