Tours and Education
From our earliest beginnings we have opened our doors, people’s eyes and students’ minds, sharing an insight into the technology and ingenuity that transforms the red rock-like mineral bauxite into light-weight, shining aluminium.
- Education: great interactive, cross-curricular resources and activities linked to specific curriculum learning areas are available for teachers and students.
- Experience: teachers can enhance classroom lessons with a free incursion or a free educational on-site visit at one of our operations in the Peel region of Western Australia. Alcoa provides a subsidy per student to assist with bus hire costs. Tours can be tailored to suit education focus areas aligned with curriculum requirements. Tour bookings are essential.
Public tours: free public tours are available of our bauxite mines and alumina refineries in Western Australia. Bookings are essential and tour options include:
- Alcoa at work:
- Visit Pinjarra Alumina Refinery and Huntly Bauxite Mine
Weekly tours depart on Wednesdays from the Alcoa Discovery Centre, located at the Pinjarra Heritage Train Station on Fimmel Lane, Pinjarra. Collection points can be arranged in Mandurah and Pinjarra.
- Visit Wagerup Alumina Refinery and Willowdale Bauxite Mine
Monthly tours depart the Waroona Visitor Centre at 37 South Western Highway, Waroona. Collection points can be arranged in Harvey and Waroona.
- Tailored tours:
- Contact the Alcoa Discovery Centre to arrange a tour time to suit your group’s needs. Our Community Education Officers offer a fully guided tour of specific aspects of our operations and can provide education resources to enhance the experience. Please note bus transportation must be provided by your group.
Contact the Western Australian Alcoa Discovery Centre via firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 (0)8 9530 2400 to discuss education materials or to make a tour booking.