Our LocationsMine Lease, Planning and ApprovalsThe Mining and Rehabilitation ProcessEnvironmental ManagementCommunityOur PeopleHistoryNews and Events
Jarrahdale

Bauxite was identified in the Darling Ranges of Western Australia as early as the 1940’s.  Western Australian Mining Corporation was founded in 1957 and commenced exploration soon after.  Exploration and evaluation identified Jarrahdale as the most suitable site for a mine. It had good grades of ore, near a railway alignment to carry the bauxite to the refinery to be built at Kwinana.
 
About Jarrahdale
 
Alcoa commenced mining at Jarrahdale in 1963, marking the birth of the Aluminium industry in Australia. The first mine pit was at the Jarrahdale site now known as Langford Park.
 
Ore mined from Jarrahdale was transported by rail to Alcoa’s Kwinana Alumina Refinery and in the first year of operation 48,750 tonnes of bauxite were mined and transported to Kwinana.
 
When mining ceased in 1998, it marked the closure of an important chapter in Australian mining history.  Although the mining operations finished in 1998, rehabilitation carried on for another 3 years until 2001 when all mined areas, haul roads and building sites were completely rehabilitated.
 
During 35 years of production, over 160 million tonnes of ore was mined.
 
People still reminisce fondly about their time working at Jarrahdale.  Jarrahdale is remembered for its family atmosphere where everyone seemed to know everyone else and they were always ready to help each other.
 
 
Langford Park 
 
Langford Park opened as a recreational site in 1975, and is named after Alcoa’s first Manager of Mines in WA – Jim Langford.  It is a popular picnic spot with BBQs, mountain bike and bridle trails. 
 
The park is located at the Alcoa’s old Jarrahdale mine site, and is situated amongst forest established using the earlier rehabilitation methods. 
 
The rehabilitation practices used around Langford Park were considered cutting-edge best practice at the time, and used pine trees and blue gums because they were resistant to dieback.  Attractive as they are, the rehabilitation practices used around Langford Park have not been repeated in further rehabilitation or at the other Alcoa mines.
 
No topsoil was returned to the area, pit faces were left, and no understorey or native trees were planted.  However, it was an important learning stage in the development of environmental understanding and techniques.
 
Alcoa’s mine rehabilitation practices have come a long way since this time and since 1988, Alcoa’s rehabilitation methods have concentrated on putting back a self-sustaining Jarrah forest ecosystem.
 
Langford Park is located on Nettleton Road, Jarrahdale.
 

Jarrahdale Crusher Site

Click image to enlarge.


Jarrahdale crusher circle whilst in operation.

Jarrahdale

Click image to enlarge.


The same crusher circle at Jarrahdale after it has been rehabilitated.

Langford

Click image to enlarge.


Jarrahdale No. 1 site in 1965 - known as "The Waterhole"

Langford Park

Click image to enlarge.


The "waterhole" site after rehabilation - Langford park is now popular picnic spot.