Overview
Kwinana refinery is located 22 kilometres south of Perth and is part of the Kwinana Industrial area, Western Australia’s premier industrial estate. 
 
Kwinana is also part of the Fremantle outer harbour with more than 120 ships berthing at the jetty. The Kwinana jetty imports approximately 12 ships of caustic soda for use at the Kwinana and Pinjarra refineries and exports approximately 115 ships of alumina each year.

Kwinana, the first of Alcoa’s three Western Australian alumina refineries, was officially opened in July 1963. Production began three months later. The first shipment of alumina left the Kwinana port aboard the 'Lake Sorrel' on 22 February 1964, bound for the Point Henry aluminium smelter. In March the same year, the first export shipment was despatched to Japan.

Kwinana Refinery enjoyed spectacular growth in its first decade of operation. By 1973, the original one-unit, 200,000 tonne plant expanded to a six-unit, one and a half million tonne operation. Over the years, the plant has been upgraded and improved and now produces two million tonnes from five-units.

Kwinana refinery’s annual production of alumina is the equivalent of either 15,000 jumbo jets, one billion recyclable drink cans or eight million four-metre dinghies.

Although 50 years old Kwinana refinery continues to make a considerable contribution to Alcoa’s international alumina operations, and the Western Australian economy.

Today, Kwinana employs about 1000 people plus a significant contractor workforce, with approximately 60 per cent of them living in the neighbouring townships of Kwinana, Cockburn and Rockingham.