Operations
 
In the 1950's, the Geelong area's coal supply was provided by Roche Brothers at a brown coal mine in Anglesea.  In the 1960's, Alcoa acquired the coal mine and set out to build a power station to supply electricity to the Point Henry Smelter.
 
The Alcoa Anglesea Power Station was officially opened on 20 March 1969 and now supplies more than 40 per cent of the power required by Alcoa's Point Henry aluminium smelter through a 45km high voltage power line connecting the Point Henry and Anglesea sites. 
 
Making electricity involves many stages, and Alcoa needs the support of a workforce of approximately 85 people at its Anglesea site to complete this process.
 
Click here to view the Anglesea Process Flow Chart or click on the four main areas below for more detailed information about how Alcoa Anglesea creates their electricity:
 
1. Coal mining
2. Mine Rehabilitation 
3. Power Station 
4. Control room

Alcoa Anglesea power station and coal mine

Click image to enlarge.


View of the brown coal mine from the Anglesea power station